Drivers on city roads, freeways and parking lots must share routes with big trucks, buses and 18-wheelers; and the drivers of these commercial vehicles have to share the road with those who are driving cars. We owe a standard of care and responsibility to each other to ensure everyone’s safety. Although they undergo certification to prove their ability, when they ignore or overlook rules disasters occur. When this happens it’s important to know what to do after a truck accident.
What you do right after you get into an accident with a semi is vital from both a medical and legal view point. Thus, the fundamental steps for what to do after a truck accident include the following:
1. Stay at the Scene of the Accident
Number one on the list of what to after a truck accident is to stay at the scene until medical help and the authorities arrive. If necessary, move the car for safety but try to leave your vehicle where it rested following the crash to preserve evidence of what caused the accident; and the injuries and damages that resulted from it.
2. Check Other Vehicles for Injuries and Call 9-1-1 for Help
The second thing you need to put on the list of what to do after a truck accident is call emergency services because large truck accident often mean injuries are severe and there might even be fatalities. Making this call often dispatches the police; and they can help to gather eyewitness testimonies and create an accident report.
3. Take Photos Videos and Audio Recordings
Right after the accident is the best time to capture important evidence to prove you or someone else was injured because of someone else’s negligence. Make this your third priority on your list of what to do after a truck accident because it’s important in case you have to sue someone. Take snapshots or a video of significant landmarks, skid marks, intersections, and damage to all vehicles involved in the crash.
4. Swap Information with Other Drivers
Fourth on your list of what to do after a truck accident is to gather the following information if possible from each driver involved in the accident because you’ll need it later.
• Phone Number
• Driver’s License Number
• License Plate Number
• Insurance Carrier & Name of Agent
• Insurance Policy Number
5. Delay Making Any Statements About the Accident
Fifth on the list of what to do after a truck accident is to make sure you don’t take credit for causing the accident and say it’s your fault. A witness may have seen the other driver texting while driving, or a stop light might not have worked properly. Even if you think you may have caused the crash take time and ask questions. You might be in shock so wait until you’re in the correct state of mind.
The following list of what to do after a truck accident are for the days and weeks after the accident.
6. Discuss Your Case with a Truck Accident Lawyer
You don’t want to miss this important step on your list of what to do after a truck accident because It’s vital to get professional advice. A truck accident attorney knows how to deal with commercial insurance companies who have a lot of money to protect their truck drivers. A lawyer will be on your side and protects your rights.
7. Attend Your Doctor Appointments and Follow Medical Advice
This step is very important on your list of what to do after a truck accident especially if you’re injured. Your main goal is to take control of your health. Not just for you and your loved ones but for the truck driver’s attorney too because they’ll be watching to make sure you’re truly injured and attend your medical appointments. Additionally, you should also keep a record of your payments and medical visits.
Keeping a list of what to do after a truck accident in the glove box of your vehicle is a great idea and essential for new drivers in your household. If you’ve ever spoken to someone who had an accident with a semi but didn’t know what to do, you’ll know of the problems that can happen if important steps aren’t taken. Some people have lost their right to compensation for injuries after a crash with a big truck and you don’t want this to happen to you or a loved one.
- Hire a Divorce Lawyer Who is Right for You The criticality of reaching a divorce resolution appears overwhelming especially for couples who are married...
- How to Find a Child Custody Lawyer in Your Area While advancing for a divorce with children, it’s imperative for you and your spouse to...
- Five Things to Consider Before You Hire a Divorce Attorney The most concerning part of working with a divorce attorney is sharing the details of...
- What Questions Should I Ask When Hiring a Family Law Attorney? Here are the seven questions you should ask when hiring a family law attorney: Are...